St Thomas' is a local church, committed to serving the local community, and right on the doorstep of York St John university. Our location gives us an amazing opportunity to reach out to a broad mix of people and to pray that God would transform many lives. We hope to see the church increasingly becoming a hub in the community, and the building being used diversely to serve people's needs.
What we seek is for God to be glorified throughout our parish. We know that he has the power to turn lives around for the better, and we pray that this community would find the light and goodness of the God "in whom there is no darkness at all" in the months and years to come.
There are so many ways to get involved serving the local community, and we are always open to hear of others. We already work with The Besom in York to serve those in need in our community, and we are currently developing links with Christians Against Poverty to reach out to those in debt.
We look to support, and pray for God to bless, the great work going on through many groups and agencies is our parish – for example:
• Members of St Thomas' have volunteered at Door 84 the youth charity with whom we have a very good relationship
• People from St Thomas' are active members of the excellent Groves Resident Association
• We have a historic link with Arc Light, working with homeless men and women
• Students from York St John are part of St Thomas', and we work closely with the university chaplaincy, as well as supporting the Christian Union
• We visit the local care homes, with some residents coming to St Thomas' on Sundays
• We have good links with Park Grove and Haxby Road primary schools, taking occasional assemblies and inviting the schools to make use of the church building
• The scouts join us for Sunday worship a number of times a year
• Some people from St Thomas' are involved in the Greenfields Community Garden off Haxby Road
If you'd like to know more about any of these initiatives, or you'd like to tell us about others, please do get in touch.